Sunday, March 11, 2018

Ideal Beauty


I think this canvas is one of my first, if not the first, projects in the "mixed media" category. It is certainly my first canvas. At work, my boss wants to replace the poster type artwork with originals made by company employees and their families and have an art gallery type look. He provided the 16" x 20"canvases. I told him I work with paper not paint. He said, "That's OK. I don't care what you put on the canvas as long as you make some artwork."


I started with text tissue paper on the canvas. However, when I applied the acrylic paint over it, the text got completely covered. Lesson learned for the next canvas: use a baby wipe to lighten up the paint so you don't cover the paper underneath. I applied multiple shades of blue for the sky, and various greens for the grass. I used white gesso for the clouds and then later used texture paste and a stencil for addition texture on the clouds. (Click any picture to enlarge it)


I knew I wanted a tree but wasn't quite sure how to make it. I finally found a couple artists on Pinterest and YouTube that used hot glue strands to make the tree. It gives great texture and mimics bark really well. After the glue cooled, I painted it with multiple shades of brown for the bark and green for the leaves. I wanted some separation between the grass and sky, so I used a rubber stamp and dark green acrylic paint to stamp a row of bushes across the canvas. For additional texture, I colored texture medium with a medium colored green paint and used a stencil to add additional bushes on top.


I colored more texture medium with various shades of paint and used a brick stencil to make the path. After it dried, I put white acrylic paint in a fine tipped bottle and used it to make the grout. The Julie Nutting "Audrey" stamp was paper pieced. Copic markers were used to color her skin and hair and to add shading to her clothing. She was popped up over the canvas.


After printing the quote on white cardstock, I die cut it and layered it on additional die cuts for dimension. I inked the edges of the clouds and layered several in the sky. I sprayed them with some glimmer mist spray to give them a shimmery look. Some paper flowers and paper punched butterflies add the finishing touches.

Supplies:
Stamps: Penny Black wood stamp (Splendor), Prima Julie Nutting cling stamp (Audrey)
Inks: Memento (Tuxedo Black), Distress Ink (Dusty Concord, Tumbled Glass)
Papers: Recollections Printed Tissue, Hot Off the Press patterned paper (Lavender Rosebuds), Core'dinations cardstock (purple glitter)
Paint: Anita's Acrylic Paint (Hunter Green, Foliage, Espresso, Earth Brown, Latte), Craft Smart Acrylic Paint (Pale Blue, Apple Tart, Bright Palm Denim), Folk Art Acrylic Paint (Metallic Pearl White), Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint (Red Apple)
Copics: BV0000, 000, 00, 11, 13, 17; E00, 11, 31, 35, 37; R20; YR20, 24
Other: Artist's Loft White Acrylic Gesso, Teresa Collins Modeling Paste, Deco Art Texture Medium, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist (pearl), Want2Scrap stencils, Ad Tech Hot Glue Sticks, Ranger Distress Collage Medium, Art C Brass Template, The Paper Studio Poppies & Paperie White Beaded Micro Flowers, Fiskars Butterfly Punch, Spellbinders Grand Big Scalloped Ovals dies

I'm entering this canvas in the following challenges:
Through the Craft Room Door March/April Special Challenge - Mixed Media
Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge #36 - Anything Goes
Alphabet Challenge Blog - Y is Your Choice
Outlawz Twisted Thursday Challenge - Mixed Mediums

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have a great week.

1 comment:

Judy McKay said...

Very pretty work. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see your beautiful art projects here again soon. Judy DT

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...